If you’ve ever been faced with this question and answered “No way,” I’m here to tell you that changing your mindset is not only possible but that it can drastically change your life. We hold so much more power than we give ourselves credit for—and our thoughts determine our reality.
The trick is learning how to rewire your thoughts to serve you not hinder you. I’m sure you’re thinking, “Yeah right, if only that were easy,” but fear not, my friend! Today, we’re going to shake things up and begin building the reality you’ve always dreamed of.
Now, I’ll be honest, changing your mindset definitely requires your effort and focus—as all positive changes do! The most important concept to take away from this discussion is that we are in control of our thoughts (or mindset), and our thoughts create our reality; therefore, we can decide the outcomes of our own lives. It’s some deep stuff I know, but I promise, you really are that powerful.
Even if it feels impossible, we have the say in what plays in our heads; we just need to know how to change the channel. Yes, by default, we are impacted by the stressors in our lives and as a result, we often lean into the negative thought loops that follow. But with some help, we can teach ourselves to exit those loops or avoid them from even starting.
Ready to start learning? Let’s get to it then!
Putting in the Work for Your New Reality
As I said, a few steps need to be taken to change your mindset for the better. Unfortunately, this change won’t happen overnight, but with intention, consistency, and patience with yourself, you’ll start to see a shift sooner than you might think!
I’m here to inspire you along the way—you’re not going into this journey alone! Let me be your guide to the new you, starting with these 5 actionable tips.
1. Practice Gratitude. Let’s face it, life can be tough sometimes. With all of the ups and downs, it’s easy to get caught up in the negative. But guess what? There’s always something to be grateful for. Take time each day to reflect on the good in your life. Write down what you’re grateful for and think about all the things that make you happy. Maybe it’s big things, like your health, your job, or your friends and family. But don’t forget about the little things, because they absolutely count—like your morning cup of coffee, the sound of the birds outside your window, or the soft socks on your feet. Write them all down and think about each one throughout the day. This will help to shift your focus away from the negative and toward the positive.
Pro tip: Keep your written gratitudes somewhere you can see them throughout the day—maybe in a dedicated gratitude journal or on notecards you carry with you. The point is to remind yourself of the good as much as possible!
2. Affirmations. It might sound cheesy, but positive affirmations really do work. Reminding yourself daily that you are worthy and capable of achieving your dreams can help shift your mindset toward a more positive outlook on yourself and your life. Repeat after me: “I am worthy.” “I am capable of achieving my dreams.” “I am amazing!” These are just a few examples of positive affirmations that you can repeat to yourself every day. By affirming your worth and capabilities, you change the way you see yourself and start to believe that you really can achieve your dreams. Trust me, when you start to believe in yourself, amazing things will happen! So go ahead and give it a try. Stand in front of the mirror, look yourself in the eye, and say, “I am awesome!” I double dare you! 😊 You are worthy, my friend. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, especially not that little voice in your head that likes to bring you down.
Pro tip: I recommend ThinkUp to help with writing affirmations. The app has a fantastic library of affirmations to choose from, or you can write your own. Plus, you can record yourself saying your affirmations and then play them back with music. Just 5 minutes a day of YOU telling YOU how awesome you are is so impactful!
3. Visualization. Imagine yourself living your dream life. See it, feel it, and believe it. This will help manifest your dreams into reality. A common way to turn your visualizations into something physical that you can see and touch is a vision board. Print out and paste images that align with everything you’ve ever dreamed of. Maybe you’ll include photos that exemplify thoughts or feelings you want to have, places you’ve always wanted to travel to, or a house that you adore. Put this board somewhere you’ll see every day and really imagine yourself in those images. A Pinterest board works just as well. The important part is truly seeing yourself in places you’d love to be and with the mindset you want to have. Take time each day to visualize and you’ll be surprised how many of these dream scenarios become your real-life experiences.
Pro tip: Savvy Bee offers a complete vision board kit with everything you need to bring your board to life! The kit is available on Amazon.
4. Surround Yourself with Positivity. Surrounding yourself with people who encourage and support you is SO important for having a healthy mindset. Cutting out negative self-talk and negative influences is often the most essential step in shifting your mindset. Negative energy only attracts more negative energy, and we don’t want that! Try reading motivational books, listening to inspiring podcasts, or even watching uplifting movies or TV shows. Immersing yourself in positivity will attract more positivity–this we do want! Although you might have people in your life who will root for the negative vs. the positive, turn to those who will encourage you. Let them know the journey you’re on—you never know who will want to join you along the way. There’s strength in numbers after all!
Pro tip: An incredibly impactful book about positivity is What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, an international bestseller by Shad Helmstetter, PhD. It’s available in all the formats (paperback, hard cover, audiobook, and eBook), so no excuses!
5. Take Action. Believe in yourself enough to take action toward your dreams. In one of my recent blogs, we discussed the importance of listening to your gut—which very much applies to taking action toward the life you want. If you have been quieting the desires building up inside you to follow a passion or take a career leap that might be scary, I encourage you to listen to those voices loud and clear. We so often know exactly what we need, but just as often ignore those instincts out of fear. Remember, you are in control, this is your life! If you’ve brushed off a dream that’s been nagging at you because you think it’s too big to achieve, I’m telling you right now that it’s not! If you can dream it, you can achieve it! Break down your big goals into small, achievable steps and take action toward them each day. Lean into your power—the only thing that can hold you back is yourself.
Pro tip: Grab a sheet of 8.5×11 paper, and fold it in half. Fold it in half again, again, and again so that when you unfold it, you have 16 boxes. In each box, write down something you want—new car, to finish a book, a dream vacation, learn to bake, be a contestant on a game show. Whatever it is and no holding back! Write the date in one of the corners, and give all of the boxes one last look. Now tuck this away and set a reminder to look at it in a few months. I think you’ll be surprised by how many things will have happened just by acknowledging your dreams and setting an unconscious intention!
Start Small: Dedicate One Week Toward Change
Let’s start taking action right now. I encourage you to commit to one week dedicated to changing your mindset. Set aside a little bit of time each day to focus on these areas and remind yourself that every time you do, you’re one step closer to your ideal reality. Tell yourself it’s just one week of change, one week of fully believing in yourself, focused on the positive. Once you tip-toe into a positive mindset, I guarantee you’ll see the value in continuing to do so regularly.
Just for one week, think BIG. Say out loud all of the things you want for yourself and imagine already having them. Your thoughts belong to you so let them work for you now. You and only you have the power over your mind. When a negative thought comes up, imagine it written on a chalkboard, and then imagine yourself erasing it and writing down a thought of gratitude to replace it. We have the same ability to let our positive thoughts flood our minds as we do the negative. It’s your choice—which thoughts do you want in your reality?
Again, reframing our thinking is not easy and does not happen overnight. Be patient with yourself. We are all human, and negative thoughts can still creep in even if we’re trying our hardest not to let them. But when they do, take out that chalkboard and erase, erase, erase. Remember your power. Negativity does not define or control you; how you reshape it is what does.
You Have What it Takes, and You Are Not Alone
If your mindset is something you struggle with but want to change, you’re not alone nor do you need to change it alone. I am here to support you and so are many others. Flock to them by letting positivity be your guide. Lean on those you love and trust, but most importantly, lean on yourself— you are more than capable of determining your own destiny.
So, my dear friend, take this as your sign to start believing in yourself and your dreams. Let’s start by choosing a positive mindset and taking small steps toward our goals each day. Together, we can turn your dreams into reality. Let’s get started!